(Firstly I don’t speak as an official or spokesman of any
church or group. I am a lay Christian and the views I express here are simply
my own.)
I write this by way of explanation to anyone who might be
interested. Recently on Facebook I posted a picture about ‘The Anglican
Catholic Church’ I said that I was nailing my colours to the mast, but I feel I
need to be a little more specific.
I have grown more and more concerned about the church of England
for several years now. There is a small part of the church who feel they are
continuing to be faithful to the teaching of the church. Some of those people are
my friends and they have my gratitude and my respect. But I must respectfully
disagree with them….
When I told a friend of mine that I had decided to leave the
church of England they warned be that “nothing was worth arguing about except
the resurrection”. I am afraid I disagree with this. Yes, the resurrection is
of central importance…but so is how we gain salvation…. what the church is
actually for….and the importance and validity of the sacraments.
For me and others, the COFE has stepped outside the
boundaries of orthodox historical Christianity, it has compromised and
compromised and in so doing has become diluted. There is still such a great
deal of good in it but that simply isn’t enough!
And so what are the options for people like me who feel
unable out of conscience to remain in the church of England? I could have
stayed and found a forward in faith parish with an alternative bishop. I am
afraid I disagree with the people in this group. In my experience they are regularly
using the 3rd edition of the roman missal and praying for the pope
in the roman canon. They view themselves to be in communion with the roman
pontiff….This is simply factually untrue. They are not in communion with the
pope because officially the roman church views the church of England as a
schismatic sect. The priests who joined the ordinariate all had to be ordained (this was not conconditional ordination) because the catholic church does not accept the
validity of Anglican orders.
Next comes the ordinariate….. I am afraid I don’t accept the
doctrine of papal infallibility and some other specifics as they are laid down
in the council of Trent. I believe in an English church, with a specific
charism and way of doing things.
I came across the Anglican Catholic church by accident. When
studying in Canterbury I happened to need somewhere to worship for Christmas this
lead me to “the shoe box cathedral” The parish of St Augustine in Canterbury is
the ‘pro cathedral’ parish. It is a cathedral because it houses the bishops
throne or cathedra. I found in this little parish a warm welcome and a great
understanding of my concerns . But what I found most refreshing was the way I was
encouraged to discern things for myself, to be free to worship with them, and
also to be free to walk away.
The rector of the parish is the Right Reverend Damien Mead,
he is the Bishop of the Diocese of the United Kingdom, this sounded crazy to me
at first because how can there be a diocese of the whole United Kingdom? How can
you have a cathedral in a small shop?? I had to work my way through these
things.
Firstly, the diocese covers the whole United Kingdom because
there are only a small number of parishes. This does not invalidate it! Right
is right after all even if nobody believes it. The truth is not a democracy
Regarding the little (but beautiful) cathedral. Of course the early Christians met
in people’s homes. We have as our sacred duty to proclaim the catholic faith
and maintain catholic order…for that we need Bishops. This is why several Anglican
Bishops in the US had the courage to form an alternative ecclesiastical
structure. Bishop Mead stands in that heritage. The church of England has
departed from that faith, the Anglican Catholic Church in the UK is simply
continuing doing what Christ asked his church to do.
The Bishop and his priests are simply trying to be faithful
to the call of Christ and to provide for those who want to be faithful to the
call too.
Also the ACC does not make true church claims, it simply
claims to be a part of the
universal church, unlike the Roman Catholic & Orthodox churches who make claims of being the only true church.
The diocese is comprised of parishes, missions, and house
groups and also dispersed individuals living away from worshipping communities.
The church is growing all the time and ordinations are happening.
I am so very glad to have found a way to be both catholic
and Anglican, that I have found a place to grow in holiness.
After going backwards and forwards, I finally made the
decision to ask to be received into full communion with the ACC. This is going
to happen DV on this coming Sunday. The following Sunday ‘The Provisional House
Group of Our lady of Glastonbury’ will meet in my mother’s living room. We lay
people will gather to say morning prayer together and fellowship with one
another as we find a way forward.
No church is perfect, and God’s ways are not our ways. But
the church is called to be faithful, to never be ashamed of the gospel and to preach
it to all nations. For me the only way to be faithful is to have the courage to
leave the church of England. I feel a bit like an Israelite living Egypt. Gone are
the beautiful buildings, the professional clergy, gone is the safety net. We have
no priest and no building, we have no money either. But I feel so free now that
I am doing the will of God, I know that he will provide. Those externals
although very nice are nothing unless the faith undergirds them!
If you are feeling God calling you to be faithful I invite
you to come and see, worship with us and see if this is where God is leading
you. If you are resistant because of material concerns, I ask you to pray and
ask God what he is trying to tell you. Are those things becoming idols for you?
Anyway I had better close now. Please pray for me and my
little group.
No comments:
Post a Comment