Monday, 17 October 2016

Insomnia and The Rule of Saint Benedict

Sometimes I can's sleep. Because this is quite a regular occurrence I have developed ways to use sleepless nights effectively. One of the ways I use such nights is by reflecting on things theologically....I also manage to waste lots of time on YouTube etc. Lol...but getting back to reflection.

A parish is a lot like a monastary really, both are a community and a family,  and both are bound together by a commmon desire to love and serve the Lord.

I know nothing about building a church....I have never been in a position where I have helped with one before. But I do know what it is like to live in and grow a community. I lived in various communities for nearly 10 years so it is that expirience and skill set which I will use to help support our little faith community in Bristol.

Shortly after I became a Christian I was fortunate to attend a house church. This church was an independent church which had a predominantly African congregation, the pastor and assistant pastors were also African, and food and hospitality was a very important part of there culture. There was a practical element to this too though because we were at church for most of the day and a such had to eat! That being said there was something really nice about everyone bringing stuff in and sharing with others. This gave us time not only to worship God but also to fellowship with one another.

Our house group is a very different setup and we are part of a very different church but the need to build community and share in fellowship remains the same therefore fellowship in the form of a shared meal is very appropriate. We cannot reach out to others unless we are grounded ourselves.

On a personal note I find the rule of St Benedict very helpful indeed. One of the things it encourages most is balance in every aspect of life, prayer, work, study and fun. I suffer from being rather one serious as times and I am grateful that I have people in my life to keep me balanced.  My Bishop is a good example for me as he shares humorous things in Facebook about his life and interests as well as spiritual reflections etc. I know living a more balanced life is something I have to continue to work on.

I am continuing to study for my degree in theology, I am also swimming and walking regularly. I am very fortunate to have the time and space to reflect on things and to write on them. I need to remember that Jesus not only calls us to serve him and to have faith in him but also to have life and have it to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment